THE SUBMISSION PERIOD FOR 2018 OAKWOOD IS NOW CLOSED
***PLEASE LOOK FOR SUBMISSIONS TO OPEN AGAIN IN DECEMBER 2018***
Oakwood is the literary and arts annual of South Dakota State University, publishing the work of writers and artists of the Northern Great Plains region.
Issues from 2013-2017 can be viewed at: http://issuu.com/sdsuoakwood.
We define the Northern Great Plains region as those states that adjoin South Dakota (Wyoming, Minnesota, North Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, Montana). By “writers and artists of,” we mean people who (a) live in this region now, or (b) had a significant, long-term relationship with this region but now live elsewhere.
Submissions to Oakwood must adhere to the following requirements:
- One submission piece/attachment per email.
- Indicate your relationship with the Northern Great Plains region in your submission email.
- Title and genre (poetry, art, fiction, etc.) of submission must appear in subject line.
- Literary attachments must be in .doc or .docx format.
- Maximum length for literary submissions is 15 pages.
- Visual art attachments must be in .jpeg or .jpg format.
- Submission limits: five poems or artworks, 3000 words for prose.
Please send all submission materials to email@example.com. This address may also be used for queries.
We ask for first North American serial rights and pay in copies. Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but please email us if your work is accepted elsewhere.